While I was making my recent strata stencil loop for a gallery in Vienna I collected a lot of examples of the technique, and thought it might be nice to share them.
1. Here is a German ad that uses real strata stencil: http://vincetigre.com/Viewster-Switzerland-TV-ad-german-version
You can also see a photo of the contraption they created to photograph the stencils.
2. The Me Bird, animated film by 18bis, a studio in Rio de Janeiro. All done in After Effects, no paper: https://vimeo.com/60763684
Making of: https://vimeo.com/60860949
3. Making of for promo video for Bonnaroo 2009: https://vimeo.com/28223904
You can see how they hung the stencils – sometimes covered in a black cloth box, sometimes with different big lighting.
4. A blog post from 2008 that has Javan Ivey’s film A Paper Mind embedded (one of the first, if not the first to develop this technique), plus some production photos that show lighting from front and below: http://thinkinganimationbook.blogspot.nl/2008_02_01_archive.html
5. A beautiful set of photographs showing a French paper animation (lighting from the side): http://uponafold.com.au/blog/post/a-paper-animation-by-helene-ducrocq/