My sand animated short Hula Hoop and my mural animation The Whale Story and my snow animation Snowball will be screening in Portugal at PLAY – Lisbon’s International Kids Film Festival, Feb 1-9, 2014.
A girl with a hula hoop becomes a goldfish becomes the Earth itself. The ordinary and the extraordinary loop and transform in this playful take on the circle of life told in grains of sand.
Hula Hoop is a 1 minute short made with sand, originally conceived as part of a collective film made with six other Seattle animators in the exquisite corpse style, and called Exquisite Corpse. The seven of us pulled strips of paper our of a hat with a beginning and ending image. These images were predetermined to match up, so that the seven shorts could be forever looped. My two images were ‘Girl with a Hula Hoop’ and ‘Plate of Pasta’. This film was made for and premiered at a special event on March 1st, 2012 called Re-Animated. You can see my film above as well as a documentation video of the making of below.
- PLAY – Lisbon’s International Kids Film Festival, Lisbon, Portugal, Feb 1-9, 2014
- Children’s Film Festival, Seattle, WA, Jan 23-Feb 2, 2014
- Regent Park Film Festival, Toronto, Canada, Nov 13-16, 2013
- Aberystwyth Arts Centre ‘the box’, Aberystwyth, Wales, UK, Sept 9-Oct 31, 2013
- Revelation Perth International Film Festival, Perth, Australia, July 4-14, 2013
- Toronto Animated Image Society, Toronto, Canada, May 11, 2013
- Short Run presents: Ishi’s Brain, Seattle, WA, April 25, 2013
- St. Louis International Film Festival, November 8-18, 2012
- Se-ma-for Film Festival, Lodz, Poland, October 10-13, 2012
- Local Sightings Film Festival, Seattle, WA, October 2, 2012
- 3 Minute Masterpiece Seattle Times program at the Seattle International Film Festival, Seattle, WA, May 19, 2012
I’m happy to announce that if you’re in Seattle you’ll be able to catch four of my animated shorts at the Children’s Film Festival Jan 23-Feb 2, 2014. The Whale Story will be screening in the ‘Paint Me A Story‘ program on Jan 25, 31 and Feb 1 (alongside Seattle’s own Stefan Gruber‘s excellent Edible [...]
I’m happy to say that my nine minute short They Look Right Through You has been accepted into the Animated Documentary category at Fest Anca International Animation Festival in Slovakia, June 27-30, 2013. This will be the International Premiere (the World Premiere is at SIFF right now) I will also have two films in the [...]
Lillian Nickerson of CityArts Magazine reviews the show last Thursday to which I contributed three animated shorts. Read the whole thing to see how Eamon Epsey and Lisa Krause’s puppet show went down (I loved it!), but check out this neat paragraph: “Up next was a series of animated short films from Seattle animator Tess Martin: [...]
I’m happy to announce that my latest short short Still Life will be premiering on Thursday, April 25th at 7PM at the Richard Hugo House. Come see it on the big screen alongside two other shorts, The Whale Story and Hula Hoop as well as other mind-blowing puppetry/comics performances from artists Erin Tanner, Tim Miller [...]
So many screenings coming up in the next two months! I will be in attendance at some of these, so stop by and say hello! Here are the details: The Whale Story, screening at CineVic Short Circuit Film Festival, Victoria, BC, April 19th, 7:30PM. The Whale Story, Hula Hoop, Still Life (World Premiere!) and more [...]
I’m happy to be involved in this excellent-looking event organized by cartoonist and Short Run festival co-founder Kelly Froh at the Richard Hugo House on April 25th. It’s called Ishi’s Brain, and will feature a shadow puppet show by Eamon Espey, adapted from his new graphic novel Songs Of The Abyss. I will be screening [...]